Limited 180gm vinyl LP pressing. On his debut album Takin' Off-recorded and released in 1962-jazz legend Herbie Hancock arrived fully formed at the helm of an impressive quintet with trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon, bassist Butch Warren, and drummer Billy Higgins. Though rooted firmly in hard bop, the brilliant pianist and composer presented his own strikingly original voice on this 6-song album consisting entirely of his own compositions from the funky hit "Watermelon Man" to the timeless ballad "Alone and I."
- 1-++-+-íWatermelon Man (Side A)
- 2-++-+-íThree Bags Full (Side A)
- 3-++-+-íEmpty Pockets (Side A)
- 4-++-+-íThe Maze (Side B)
- 5-++-+-íDriftin' (Side B)
- 6-++-+-íAlone and I (Side B)
Release Date: 5/10/2019